St Beuno's Church, Bettws Cedewain, Montgomeryshire|
Dedication: St Beuno
Rebuilt: 16th C (tower) / 1868 (remainder)
1. St Beuno's Church occupies a prominent position overlooking the village of Bettws Cedewain on the northern edge of the small valley that carries the Bechan Brook to the Severn, about nine miles south-west of Welshpool. The original ancient church was reputedly founded by St Beuno in the 6th century. The present church is a single-chambered structure with a western tower, set in a near-circular churchyard. The tower and a two-stage timber belfry were rebuilt in the early 16th century, the nave and chancel in 1868, though the extra thickness of the north wall might suggest that the medieval masonry was retained on this side. The building contains the important brass of Rev John ap Meredyth, the only pre-Reformation brass in Powys, a chest, a bier and a small amount of pre-Reformation stained glass. Little else survived the 19th century restoration.
[Adapted from the website of the: Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust]
2. Only the 16th century west tower with a timber bell-stage, a brass to the priest John Meredyth (died 1531), and fragments of old stained glass survived the rebuilding of the single chamber in 1868.
[Source: SALTER, Mike (1991) The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales, Folly Publications, Malvern, Worcestershire; ISBN 1-871731-11-9]
Further details and history: Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust website
Photography: Ellie Thomas
Date: 15 March 2008
Pentacon Praktica DCZ5.8 digital