Hall Street Church, Hall Street, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
Name: Hall Street
Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist / United Reformed Church
Photography: John Ball
Date: 29 March 2012
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Note 1: Hall Street Chapel was first built in 1838, then rebuilt in 1856 by architect James Wilson of Bath. The present building is Gothic in style and of the gable entry type. The tower and spire were modified by architect William Griffiths of Llanelli in 1896. The building is listed Grade 2.
Hall Street is important for being one of the first gothic chapels in Wales and moreover in fully correct 'church-gothic' with a large traceried window in flowing-decorated style of the later fourteenth-century and a tower and spire that could have been drawn from a medieval church. The Wesleyans were a highly centralised denomination with an integrated Welsh/English structure and were largely English-speaking. For these reasons a professional architect approved by the central estates committee and usually based in England would be chosen so that a building-grant could be received from the central organisation. In this case the architect was James Wilson who introduced the Gothic Revival style to the Wesleyans in the 1840s and the large gable front with traceried window at Llanelli is similar to one he built at Bath ten years previously.
[Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 10 Feb 2016)]
Note 2: Hall Street (on the road to Burry Port) is a Methodist church still in business today. The building dates from the mid 19th century and is well maintained. A very old organ, a good example of 1860s music making.
[Extracted from personal email correspondence with Huw Edwards, dated 26 September 2011]