St Elli's Church, Llanelly, Breconshire
Dedication: St Elli
1. There were two building periods in the history of the church; to the first, 1175-1250, belong the font, the south aisle, and the tower. The north aisle was added in 1626, possibly through the influx of wealth following the foundation of the nearby Clydach Iron Works. The west tower, of early English style, is of the fortified type, of which many specimens remain along the Welsh Border. It contains a ring of six bells. There is a low 13th century priests' door in the south wall, opposite the chancel arch.
[Adapted from description in the church guide]
2. An ancient circle of Yews surrounds this church. There are wide views across the valley. There are two naves, the South part probably of Norman date, with a second 'nave' added in the 15th century. The 20th century stained glass includes scenes of iron making and coal mining associated with the area. Outside the churchyards are maintained as managed wild life areas.
[Extracted from entry originally found on the Church in Wales website]
3. For further details and a selection of high resolution photographs, see: Jeffrey L. Thomas's website
Photography: John Ball
Date: 5 June 1998
Camera: Agfa ePhoto307 digital