Dedication: St Brynach
Built: 14th century
Rebuilt: 1885 (or 1855); see notes below
1. St Brynach's church is situated in the centre of Llanfrynach village some 4 km from Brecon. It is a Victorian structure attached to a medieval tower and contains only a few items of interest, namely the only survivor of three early medieval stones found during the rebuilding of 1885 and a medieval font. The churchyard is large for a village church and may once have been more curvilinear than it now appears. The tower is attributed to 14thC, though it is as likely to be 15thC, but rest of the building dates from 1885.
[Extracted from Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website]
2. Only the 14th century west tower and font, and a 10th or 11th century slab showing the Crucifixion and knot interlace, survived when the church was entirely rebuilt by William Jones in 1855.
[Extracted from SALTER, Mike (1991) The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales, Folly Publications, Malvern, Worcestershire; ISBN 1-871731-11-9]
3. The tower is 14th century but the church was rebuilt in 1855. The font and a carved slab remain from the earlier church. The Church registers date from 1776; full details can be found at the GENUKI website.
[From Church in Wales website]
Further details and history: CPAT website
Photography: John Ball
Date: 24 September 2002
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR