Back to index

St Catwg's Church, Llangattock, Breconshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Catwg

Built: 13th/14th century with later additions

Further details and history: CPAT website
  St Catwg's Church Llangattock
Notes:
1. Saint Catwg's church at Llangattock lies in the valley of the Usk little more than one kilometre south of Crickhowell. The building comprising a nave and chancel with a north aisle and chapel of equal length is 13thC/14thC though all of the windows have been replaced, and parts of the walls rebuilt. At the west end is a fine tower, 16thC in date, though a much earlier origin has been claimed. There are few internal features of any age, but a fine collection of 18thC memorials in the tower, as well as the village stocks and whipping post in the north aisle. The churchyard was perhaps once more curvilinear than it now appears. [Extracted from Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website]
2. The embattled 16th century west tower, said to replace one of circa 1140, is set off-centre to the southern of two naves with similar chancels divided by five 14th century arches. The windows are late 15th and 16th century, although some are restored. The naves were given a single roof in 1785 with ribbed ceilings below. Memorials include those of Richard Harcourt, died 1723, and William and Alice Morgan, died 1746.
[Extracted from SALTER, Mike (1991) The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales, Folly Publications, Malvern, Worcestershire; ISBN 1-871731-11-9]


Photography: John Ball
Date: 16 June 2000
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR

St Catwg's Church, Llangattock

St Catwg's Church, Llangattock St Catwg's Church, Llangattock

St Catwg's Church, Llangattock

St Catwg's Church, Llangattock
Back to indexImages of Wales