St Meilig's Church, Llowes, Radnorshire
Dedication: St Meilig
Built: 13/15th century
Note 1: The rebuilding of 1853-5 left just the damaged circular 13th century font and the west tower with a 15th century top stage on an old base. The tall 11th century cross-slab with lozenge patterning was moved into the church in 1956.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 2003, ISBN 1-871731-62-3]
Note 2: St Meilig's church is a moderately sized Victorian structure and only the tower dates back to the medieval era. It retains an early font and an 11thC inscribed cross but otherwise is devoid of early fittings. Set on the north side of the Wye valley the churchyard is sub-oval in shape, and may have housed a mother church from the 7thC onwards. Lower part of tower perhaps medieval with Victorian insertions, and basal stage in different fabric and thus earlier than second stage; belfry stage may be largely Victorian. Remainder of church is certainly Victorian, of 1853-5.
[Source Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website (accessed 6 Feb 2016)]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 13 September 2013
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Left: St Meilig's Cross, which originally stood at its eponymous site (Croesfeilig), was moved in the 12th century to the churchyard, and in 1956 (to prevent further erosion) into the church itself. The cross, carved into a standing stone, is believed to date either to the 6th or 7th century or to the 11th century. Local legend referred to the cross as "Moll Walbee's Stone", claiming it was thrown there by "Moll Walbee" or Maud de St Valery, the immensely strong and indomitable wife of William de Braose, lord of Hay-on-Wye castle. Whilst carrying stones in her apron from the quarry at Glasbury to rebuild the castle, one fell into her shoe. She pulled it out and angrily threw it over the River Wye to land in Llowes churchyard. [Source: Wikipedia (accessed 6 Feb 2016)]
Below: Ground plan of St Meilig's Church, dated June 1855, by architects W. J. and A. H. Worthington of London.
Right: Monument mounted on the south wall of the church commemorates the death of Elianor, the wife of Patrick Powell. She was the daughter of Thomas Powell, granddaughter of Hugh Powell (both of Traveley), and great granddaughter of the Honourable Marmaduke Lloyd of Millfield, Cardiganshire. Elianor died on 4 June 1749 aged 24. Near the monument is the burial place of Roger Powell of Traveley, who died 28 June 1785 aged 37.
The house in the parish of Llowes called The Travely (Travely, Traffly, Travelly, etc) was owned by the Powell family from a period prior to 1638 until about 1868. [Extracted from "Trailly and Travely: The House in Llowes" by A. D. Powell, in The Radnorshire Society Transactions – Vol 40 1970, p. 56]
The plan is framed under glass and hung inside the church.
Below: Evidence of an earlier roofline revealed after removal of plaster.