St John's Church, Woodfield Street (B4603) / Martin Street, Morriston, Swansea, Glamorgan
Above: Southeastern aspect of St John's Church (1968) [archive photo by kind permission of J H Truman].
On the right is the spire of Morriston Tabernacle further down Woodfield Street.
Note 1: John Morris (1745-1819) was responsible for St John's Church first built in wood 1789, with a congregation of 108. He was made a Baronet in 1806. St John's was later (1859-62) rebuilt in Victorian Gothic style and is a grade 2 listed building. Unfortunately, the building today is unused. [Source: J H Truman, personal correspondence, August 2017]
Above: The southeastern aspect of St John's Church (2017).
Note 2: St John's church is located on an island at the crossroads of Woodfield Street and Morfydd Street. The church was built in Victorian Gothic style in 1859-62, replacing a late eighteenth-century chapel of ease on the same site, to designs of diocesan architect R.K.Penson. It is constructed of uncoursed Pennant sandstone rubble with bathstone dressings and slate roofs. Aligned north-south, it consists of four-bay nave with inconspicuous clerestory, chancel, east aisle, porch and tower (added in c.1872); a projected west (ritual north) aisle was not built. At the angle between aisle and chancel, the embattled tower has a stair turret to the north-east corner with steep polygonal roof, and rises above the tower. The interior is simple with plastered walls with painted stone dressings, arch-braced roof to nave, scissor trusses to chancel, piers alternately round and octagonal, and a double-chamfered chancel arch on triple-shafted corbels. Stained glass is by Celtic Studios (1961). [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 18 August 2017)]
Above: The northwestern aspect of St John's Church (2017).
Note 3: Church consecrated 10 July 1862, replacing late C18 church on site. By R K Penson, diocesan architect. Brown random rubble, bathstone dressings, slate roofs. Tower added circa 1872. Aligned N-S, with 4-bay nave, chancel, east aisle (projected west aisle not built), and porch, tower. Victorian Gothic style.