Bethesda Chapel, Bethesda Street, Swansea, Glamorgan
Note 1: [The chapel] is a Neo-Classical chapel constructed of coursed Ashlar stone witha modern pantile roof and side elevations which have been rendered and painted. The front elevation has three bays with an elaborate Renaissance porch of segmental plan. The porch has three canted and richly carved doorpieces around a round-arched opening and segmental pediments decorated with dove tympana, foliage spandrels and finials, all supported on Corinthian pilasters. The main elevation has a pedimented frontispiece with a dentil cornice, flanked balustraded parapets and openwork domed turrets with finials to the corners. Below this is an entablature supported by paired pilasters on tall panelled pedestals. There is a triple opening in the pediment and three round-headed lights below a frieze inscribed BETHESDA BAPTIST CHAPEL [see below]. These windows have moulded architraves with keyblocks and linked impost bands, and there are panelled fields with roundels over the windows. In the smaller outer bays have similar but taller windows. The side elevations have four pilastered bays with windows on two levels. Bethesda is now Grade 2 Listed for its excellent interior.
Note 2: Bethesda was a Welsh Baptist church in Swansea, Glamorgan. An important chapel in the history of the Baptist movement in Swansea, Bethesda was built on its present site in 1831, and extensively rebuilt in 1879. It closed in 1994. [Source: Archives Wales website (accessed 1 June 2015)]
Right Portrait of Christmas Evans by William Roos, 1835. National Museum Cardiff.
Note 4: Bethesda Baptist chapel, is now  Swansea's NSPCC centre. [Source: South Wales Evening Post website (accessed 1 June 2015)]